Jefferson City is a beautiful place to live and work; yet, the city is also a broken city filled with busy people seeking fulfillment and finding identity in everything except the God who created them. Amidst the beauty, creativity, ingenuity, and passion of Jefferson City, less than 25% of the over fifty thousand residents can be identified as Bible-believing, Jesus-loving, evangelical Christians.
We envision thousands of people from every corner of the city united under a new identity in Jesus and sent to love, serve and challenge our city. Out of personal gospel renewal, urban, suburban and rural renewal will flow, as the very spiritual, social and cultural fabric of Mid-Missouri is redeemed.
The New Testament is filled with rich metaphors describing the countercultural community of people who have been transformed by the gospel of grace. One of the most frequent designations for this community is the Greek word Soma, which simply means “body.” We are the body. Jesus is the head of the body – He is the Senior Pastor. Therefore, we are all about Jesus, not us.
Soma Community Church will be a church planted in the soil of the gospel in the city of Jefferson. It is our deep desire to not simply see a “building” that houses a church, but to see a gathering of disciples live as the church. This would be a fundamental change from the current organization. Simply put, we desire to see a church that lives as a worshipping community of disciples. We will accomplish this in 4 ways:
- Worshipping together
- Living in Community
- Being Missional
- becoming cultural Theologians
- Being Ethnic Conciliators
- Missional/ Gospel Communities: Simply put we will “Invest and Invite”. Invest in the lives of those around us while [simultaneously] “Inviting” them to Christ, and Community. Beginning next semester we are anticipating launching three GC (two coed and one female) for students and we are developing GC for student-athletes, faculty, and staff.
- Gatherings: Our hope is that these gatherings will be filled with passionate, intellectually engaging, Gospel-centered preaching and experiential grace for seekers, skeptics, and believers alike.
- Discipleship: The mission of the community is to make disciples, leading people from rebels to passionate Jesus followers. Without the building and sending of disciples the community dies.